Anthony F. (Tony) Turhollow was a professor of history at Loyola University and LMU from 1953 to 1986. He served as chair of the History Department from 1958 to 1978 and was dean of the Graduate Division from 1978 to 1986. Along with Clinton Albertson, S.J., he co-founded the University Honors Program and later served as its director. Through these administrative roles, Professor Turhollow worked with the academic administration to strengthen the profile of the University while also remaining a dedicated classroom instructor. In 1960, Professor Turhollow was awarded a Fulbright Grant to teach at Annamalai University in India. Professor Turhollow served as president of the American Catholic Historical Association and was a member of the Organization of American Historians; the Polish-American Historical Association; the California Historical Association; the Southern California Historical Association; Phi Alpha Theta; Pi Gamma Nu; and Alpha Sigma Nu. During his time at the University, he inspired many of his students to also pursue advanced degrees in history in preparation for careers in teaching and academia.
Professor Turhollow earned a bachelor's degrees in education and history, and a master's degree in history from Rutgers University; he earned his Ph.D. in history from the University of California, Berkeley. During World War II, he was a captain in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. In 2000, the History Department recognized Professor Turhollow's many contributions by naming the department's seminar room in his honor: the Dr. Anthony F. Turhollow History Conference Room. In addition, a History Department award is named the Anthony F. Turhollow Award for Distinguished Leadership and a group study room in the William H. Hannon Library has been named in his memory. Professor Turhollow passed away in 2001.